And we're off to the races... Here we have the all-new and utterly incredible 2018 Salomon S/Lab X-Alp touring skis... Killian Jornet's powder boards, or lightweight high-performance ski mountaineering skis for the rest of us. The S/Lab skis were developed with Jornet and other Salomon athletes to tackle technical and remote descents with confidence.
First of all, the S/Lab X-Alp weighs only 950 grams per ski! Sporting a fairly round flex pattern and a relatively tight radius sidecut, the X-Alp is a confident steep-skier and holds its own in tightly treed powder runs in the middle of winter. The tip is a square shape that has been rounded off to provide a happy medium between steering precision and flotation. A deep notch prevents accidentally kicking off your race-style skins. Hidden within the tip of the ski is Koroyd, a honeycomb structure that is 90% lighter than rubber, deadens impacts, and minimizes deflection for laser-like precision on the way down. Karuba wood is the core of choice for light and fast skis where downhill performance is a concern. The CFX Superfiber weave adds structural reinforcement and contributes to their lively flex and power transmission. The S/Lab X-Alp is very stiff, thanks to C/FX Carbon fiber reinforcement. 'FX' represents the Flax woven through the carbon to dampen and reduce vibration that carbon has become infamous for in skis. These light and stiff high performance materials are reinforced in the binding mount area with Titanal and 4 layers monocoque to eliminate concern for screw pull-out. The tips are notched to accept race style tip attachments. Take backcountry to a higher level with the S/LAB X-ALP ski.
These techy wonders should definitely be on your shortlist for the ultralight ski mountaineering spot in your quiver.
- Dimensions: 113 - 79 - 99mm / R 17m
- Tip rocker with camber underfoot
- C/FX construction: Unique prepreg fiber layer consisting of Carbon and Flax woven together, running the full length of the ski. Combines the incredible strength and minimal weight of carbon fiber for stability and reinforcement, with an increased level of dampening and vibration absorption above and beyond anything found in traditional carbon and light ski constructions. Patented and exclusive to Salomon.
- Koroyd tip is 90% lighter than rubber and contributes to laser-like skiing precision.
- Rounded square tip ensures balance between steering precision and flotation.
- Slightly tapered tail makes inserting the ski into ski-carry loops on a pack smoother.
- Rubber tail cap promotes durability, longevity, and water-tight performance.
- Karuba core offers solid-yet-featherweight downhill performance.
- Deep tip notches offer secure skin attachment points.
- Ideal for ski mountaineering, endurance training and touring, and big, remote missions.
- MPN: 394933